Our Story

How it all started...

HISTORY
On April 1, 1888, Rev. George W. Huntley as the General Missionary met with three couples for establishing and organizing a New Testament Church according to Baptist Principles and Interpretations of the Scriptural Faith. Present were Mr. & Mrs. E. A. Mears (parents of Henrietta Mears who later founded Gospel Light Publications), Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Crow and Mr. & Mrs. D. Coleman. Mr. Mears was in charge of building the first building in the Fall of 1888 at the site of the present Big M building presently owned by Trinity Hospital for $1800. Of this amount, $500 was paid before the church was completed and the balance was paid off within two years.

A parsonage was completed in 1905 and cost $1200. This building is commonly called the Annex.

In 1913, an addition to the original structure was begun. Seating capacity was to be 220. The old part was divided into Sunday School Rooms. This addition was dedicated on February 22, 1914. The mortgage was $4155 and was paid off on the day the addition was dedicated.

On February 19, 1958, First Baptist Church (consisting of about 130 members--less than 30 family units) voted to spend $120,000 on a building program contracted with E. J. Shoenrock and Sons of Hazen, ND.

Ground breaking was on June 15, 1958. Soil Turning ceremony included Mr. Herman Lorenz, Senior Church Chairman and Deacon; Mr. Ed Nehrenberg, Senior Deacon; and Sidney G. Lien, Building Board Chairman and Deacon.

The church with side room would seat 650 people. A new Sohmer piano was added at this time for a cost of $2500. Building committee members were Sidney G. Lien, Chairman, Emmer Page, Herman Lorenz, Sr., Bill Breding and Warren Lindblom.

On November 14, 1973, the Building Committee met for an organization meeting. The Board elected Y. C. "Bud" Crilly, Chairman; Albert Vix, Vice Chairman; Kirby Siebel, Secretary. Other members included O. H. Mittelberg and LaVern Haas. Pastor Paul Siewert and Moderator Dan Orluck served as ex-officio members. When Kirby Siebel moved out of the area, he was replaced by Glen Stevens.

The estimated cost of this building including furnishings was $378,587.80. The loan which was set up for 25 years was paid off in 12 years and 6 months.

From its beginnings in 1888, the vision and mission of First Baptist Church has been to preach Christ, teach His word, and reach the world with the gospel.

AFFILIATIONS 

First Baptist Church is a part of the North American Baptist Conference and the North Central Association 

OUR STATEMENT OF PURPOSE 

First Baptist Church is a community of believers which exists to glorify God by touching lives with the truth of Scripture.  Our purpose is to communicate the good news of salvation through faith in Christ and to develop believers into fully devoted followers of the Lord.

Our goal is to "make disciples" of all those God gives us the opportunity to reach, beginning in our local community of Minot and extending to all the world.  This involves bringing lost people to faith in Christ, helping them to become committed and functioning members of the local church, and equipping them for ministry and outreach to others.

We believe God is glorified in the Church and in the world when we as His people commit ourselves to three basic priorities:

Loving God through worship
Building up the Body of Christ through teaching and fellowship
Outreach to the world through service and witness


These truths can be summarized with the formula:

Win + Build + Send = Commitment for Christ

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 8:30 am, 9:50 am and 11:05 am.