On April 1, 1888 Rev. George W. Huntley as the General Missionary met with three couples for establishing and organizing a New Testament Church according to Baptist Princiles and Interpretation of the Scriptural Faith. Present were Mr. & Mrs. E. A. Mears (parents of Henrietta Mears who later founded Gospel Light Publications), Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Crow and Mr. & Mrs. D. Coleman. Mr. Mears was in charge of building the first building in the Fall of 1888 at the site of the present Big M building presently owned by Trinity Hospital for $1800. Of this amount $500 was paid before the church was completed and the balance was paid off within two years.
A parsonage was completed in 1905 and cost $1200. This building is commonly called the Annex.
In 1913 an addition to the original structure was begun. Seating capacity was to be 220. The old part was divided into Sunday School Rooms. This addition was dedicated on February 22, 1914. The mortgage was $4155 and was paid off on the day the addition was dedicated.
On February 19, 1958 First Baptist Church (consisting of about 130 members--less than 30 family units) voted to spend $120,000 on a building program contracted with E. J. Shoenrock and Sons of Hazen, ND.
Ground breaking was on June 15, 1958. Soil Turning ceremony included Mr. Herman Lorenz, Senior Church Chairman and Deacon; Mr. Ed Nehrenberg, Senior Deacon; and Sidney G. Lien, Building Board Chairman and Deacon.
The church with side room would seat 650 people. A new Sohmer piano was added at this time for a cost of $2500. Building committee members were Sidney G. Lien, Chairman, Emmer Page, Herman Lorenz, Sr., Bill Breding and Warren Lindblom.
On November 14, 1973 the Building Committee met for an organization meeting. The Board elected Y. C. "Bud" Crilly, Chairman; Albert Vix, Vice Chairman; Kirby Siebel, Secretary. Other members included O. H. Mittelberg and LaVern Haas. Pastor Paul Siewert and Moderator Dan Orluck served as ex-officio memebers. When Kirby Siebel moved out of the area he was replaced by Glen Stevens.
The estimated cost of this building including furnishings was $378,587.80. The loan which was set up for 25 years was paid off in 12 years and 6 months.
From its beginnings in 1888, the vision and mission of First Baptist Church has been to preach Christ, teach His word, and reach the world with the gospel.